Garner & Hancock, Family Law
We are open for business - during this crisis, we offer remote legal advice to our new and valued clients and third parties. We can work via Facetime, Whatsapp, Skype and Zoom. Please call 0208 232 9560 or complete a contact form to arrange service.

Family Maintenance Agreements

How to secure payment for your children

What are they?

Take the acrimony out of agreeing children’s maintenance with your former spouse/partner,  with this very useful agreement.

When making arrangements about children with your ex-partner it is best to have an agreement in place. Such agreements are a record of intention and can be raised in Court if such agreements are not adhered to.

This can avoid a long, expensive and stressful court battle that will be no good for your children.

We can help in formulating the agreement and advising how they could be used as evidence in any future default or disagreement.

How do they work?

We shall work out for you, what you need or need to pay. We then let you approach your spouse directly or through a mediator justifying this sum.

We shall then draft the agreement and keep a signed copy on our file for 6 years (longer if you need to).

Are they enforceable?

They can be used as evidence of both your intentions. The court would then look at all the circumstances and make an order which is then enforceable.

What if my spouse/partner defaults on the agreement?

At the outset we would write to them and then threaten court action if that is appropriate. We would also recommend mediation which would avoid an expensive court battle to discover the reason for default.

What if I cannot pay?

We do not recommend just stopping paying. We suggest you contact your spouse to explain the situation, then go to the Child Support website to work out what you should be paying based on your current salary, then again approach your spouse. If this does not persuade your spouse we shall then write a letter explaining why you are reducing or stopping your payments. This will help in persuading any Judge looking at this in future court proceedings that you have been reasonable.

Free Consultation

If you would like some help or advice, then please feel free to call to arrange a conversation on 0208 232 9560, or drop us a note using the form below and we can book you a call with a solicitor.

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Request a free

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Family Solicitors
Recent Articles

Will they, won’t they?

Author: Garner & Hancock

The current law allows you to be divorced only if one of the conditions set out in law are met. Most of these put blame on one of the parties. Accusations as to who is at fault, at a time when feelings are running high, can make it more difficult to reach an agreement that works for both spouses.


Filed in Article library: Divorce, Family Law,

Arbitration – a cheaper alternative to Family Court

Author: Garner & Hancock

Add a more personal feel to the proceedings after a marriage breakdown. In its most simplistic form, Arbitration is generally a quicker, more cost-effective, flexible and versatile option than court proceedings


Filed in Article library: Dispute Resolution, Family Law, Mediation,

Our Family Law

Family Solicitor

Mr. Vinay Tanna

Managing Partner

0208 232 9560

Family Solicitor Advocate

Mr. Daniel Flynn

Solicitor Advocate

0208 232 9560

Fleur Smith -

Ms. Fleur Smith

Trainee Solicitor

0208 232 9560


Open to Questions


  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Free advice and Q & A from your armchair - upcoming and recorded webinars

  • Commercial Leases - Getting Out of Them or Renegotiating Them
  • Buying or Selling a Property During This Time – Are You Serious?
  • Landlord and Tenant – Landlords Right During Lockdown

followed by Q&A with our solicitor panel