We are fully open for business- but we still continue to offer remote legal advice to our new and valued clients and third parties. We can work via Facetime, Whatsapp, Skype and Zoom. Please call 0208 232 9560 or complete a contact form to arrange service.

How to contest a Will 2


 The following are are the most commonly asked questions:

GUIDE TO CONTESTING A WILL – most common questions answered

 I was promised money/house by the deceased but was not left anything in their will, can I do something about this?
I lived with the deceased but we were not married am I entitled anything in their will?
The deceased has not provided for me in their will can I ask for more from the estate?
I lent the deceased some money but he/she has now died, can I claim my money?
The deceased to give me back something that he/she borrowed from me can I ask for it back?
I am the son/daughter of the deceased but they did not give me anything in their will or what they did give me seems mean, can I ask for more?
It feels unfair that other members of the family have got more than I, can I ask the estate to give me a fair division?
I looked after the deceased before they died, but I was not left anything in their will, can I ask for something from the estate?WATCH OUT
I invested in a house with the deceased but nothing was in writing, how do I go about making a claim?
I believe that certain family members have taken money or items from the deceased after he/she died which they were not supposed to take, what can I do about this?
I suspect that before the deceased died, someone took advantage of him/her and took money from the deceased, can I do something about this?
How do I contest a will because I believe it was forged?
The deceased did not leave a will but another member of the family seems to be taking over the affairs of the estate, I do not believe they are doing a good job, what can I do about this?
I don’t believe that when the deceased made their will, that he/she  really understand what they were signing. What can I do about this?
I believe that a lot of pressure was put on the deceased before they Garner & Hancockdied to change their will, I want to do something about this?
Just before the deceased died in hospital he/she changed their will, I am very not sure why and what pressure they were put under. I want to ask the estate to investigate this, how do I do this?
I was attorney for my later parents’ affairs, now that they have passed away, I believe I should be executor not the person named in the will, what I can I do about this?




Can you make a claim?

The Inheritance (Provision for Family and Dependants) Act 1975 lets certain classes of people make an application for reasonable financial provision where the deceased’s will and/or intestacy rules do not provide for them.


The following classes of people can make a claim:

  • the deceased’s spouse or civil partner;
  • the deceased former spouse or civil partner (if they have not remarried);
  • cohabitants who had been living in the same household as the deceased for two years ending immediately prior to the deceased’s passing;
  • the deceased’s child(ren);
  • someone treated as a child of the family by the deceased; or
  • anyone who was being maintained wholly or partly by the deceased immediately prior to their passing.


Does the age of children prevent a successful application?

Not necessarily. In the recent case of Ilott v Mitson (2014), the deceased’s adult daughter successfully challenged her father’s will, which left his estate to three charities. Despite the fact she had no expectation of inheriting under the will, it was still found not to make reasonable financial provision for her.

However, it is important to note that in a number of previous cases it was found to be very difficult for adult children to claim.


Who can be seen as a ‘child of the family’?

Recent legislation has broadened the class of individuals that fall into this category to include non-marital relationships and single-parent families.

will photo

Do I qualify as being ‘maintained by the deceased’?

A person is maintained if the deceased was making substantial contributions in money (or money’s worth) towards their reasonable needs.


What is “reasonable financial provision”?

This is known as the “gateway stage” and depends on the class of the applicant. The definition is more generous towards the deceased’s spouse or civil partner, who is entitled to an amount reasonable for a spouse to receive, whether or not that much is required for their maintenance. All other classes of applicant are only liable to get as much financial provision as is necessary for their maintenance alone.

The assessment of whether financial provisions are reasonable is an objective.


What awards can the court make if my claim succeeds?

If it is found that there has not been reasonable financial provision, then it is to the court’s discretion what award should be made in what is known as the “evaluative stage”. The court can make the following orders:

  • periodical payments;
  • lump sums;
  • transfer of property;
  • settlement of property; and
  • the variation of certain types of settlement for the applicant’s benefit.

Orders can only be made in respect of the ‘net estate’, which does not actually include all property owned by the deceased (a notable exception is pension benefits, unless nominated).


What factors does the court consider when making its decision?

The court must consider the following general factors:

  • the financial resources and needs the applicant has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
  • the financial resources and needs any beneficiary or other applicant for an order has or is likely to have in the foreseeable future;
  • obligations and responsibilities the deceased had towards any beneficiary or applicant;
  • the size and nature of the net estate of the deceased;
  • any physical/mental disability of any beneficiary or applicant; and
  • any other matter, including the conduct of the applicant or any other person, that the court may consider relevant given circumstances.

In addition, specific factors must be considered for spouses or civil partners (whether they be former or current):

  • the age of the applicant;
  • the duration of the marriage/partnership;
  • the contribution of the applicant to the welfare of the family of the deceased, including those made by looking after the home or caring for family members; and
  • the court will have regard for the provision which the applicant might reasonably have expected to receive, if on the day of the deceased’s death the marriage had ended by divorce instead (the ‘deemed divorce’ test).


What if my spouse passes away after we have had a decree absolute, but before we have managed to resolve financial matters?

If the spouse‘s passing occurs within 12 months of the decree absolute the court has discretion to treat the former spouse as a spouse where:

a)   an application for a financial provision order or a property adjustment order has not been made; or

b)   if such an application has been made, proceedings have not been determined by the time of the deceased’s death.

Please note, that, as with any exercise of discretion, nothing is guaranteed. This is why, where possible, we always advise our clients not to apply for the decree absolute until after financial issues have been resolved when separating.


What if I waived my inheritance rights during a previous financial claim?

Whilst this means you cannot bring a claim yourself, if there are children then you will be able to bring a claim to the court through their rights to inherit.


 How much time do I have to bring a claim?

Claims must be brought within six months of the date of the grant of representation. Whilst it is possible to apply for permission to claim outside this time limit, it is unlikely that permission will be gained. Recent amendments also allow applications to be brought before a grant of representation.


What if I have a pre-nuptial agreement?

A pre-nuptial agreement cannot exclude the court’s jurisdiction, but may help pre-empt and defend claims.

As mentioned above, the ‘deemed divorce’ test is applied by the court in determining whether to make an award and how much of one to make. Seeing as a pre-nuptial agreement would affect the financial provisions of a divorce, the court will be able to glean the parties’ intentions.

The very fact the parties have negotiated a prenuptial agreement often suggests both have already considered the financial provisions to be made upon the death of one of them. Moreover, for such an agreement to hold weight, it must make provisions for the parties’ needs, which may help establish that reasonable financial provisions have been made.

This Article was written by Rishi Krishnan LLB

Free Consultation

If you would like some help or advice, then please feel free to call to arrange a conversation on 0208 232 9560, or drop us a note using the form below and we can book you a call with a solicitor.


Free advice and Q & A from your armchair - upcoming and recorded webinars

  • Commercial Leases - Getting Out of Them or Renegotiating Them
  • Buying or Selling a Property During This Time – Are You Serious?
  • Landlord and Tenant – Landlords Right During Lockdown

followed by Q&A with our solicitor panel