We offer remote legal advice to our new and valued clients and third parties. We can work via Facetime, Whatsapp, Skype and Zoom. Please call 0208 232 9560 or complete a contact form to arrange service.

Buying Your Parents’ House for Under Market Value


Buying your parents’ house for under market value seems like a win-win situation

Your parents can help you get onto (or move up) the property

ladder, and you can purchase a property that might otherwise be out of your price range.

However, buying your parents’ home for under market value does come with potential pitfalls. Both you and your parents need to be aware of these before you make any decisions, or you could face difficulties in the future.

Some of these potential pitfalls are outlined below. For legal advice tailored to your situation, please contact us at Garner & Hancock Solicitors.

Capital Gains Tax

If your parents are selling a secondary property – meaning it is not their main residence – they will incur a Capital Gains Tax liability. The amount of tax payable is calculated according to the market value of the property, not the purchase price.

Stamp Duty Land Tax

Stamp Duty Land Tax will be payable by you, unless this is your only property and you are buying it for less than £125,000. This amount payable depends on the purchase price. A Stamp Duty Land Tax surcharge will be applied if you already own a residential property.

Inheritance Tax

The difference between the property’s purchase price and the market value will be regarded by HMRC as a lifetime gift. If your parents die within seven years of making this gift, or they continue to live in the property, it will incur an Inheritance Tax (IHT) liability.

If your parents remain in the property, and they pay you rent, you will have to pay Income Tax on your earnings. However, this arrangement may reduce their Inheritance Tax liability.


If your parents are made bankrupt in the future, the person appointed to deal with their debts (called the Official Receiver) can overturn previous under market transactions. This means the property could be taken off you and used to pay their creditors.

Deliberate deprivation of assets

If your parents later apply for care home funding, they could be accused of deliberate deprivation of assets. The Local Authority could theoretically transfer the property back into their names, making them liable for their own care home fees.

You pre-decease your parents

While it is hard to consider, it is possible that you will die before your parents. This could create problems if your parents are still living in the property, as it will form part of your estate and will pass to your beneficiaries. Unless you amend your Will accordingly, there is no guarantee that your beneficiaries will allow your parents to remain in situ.

Divorce and separation

You also need to be mindful that if you are married, property held in your name is considered a matrimonial asset. If you later separate or divorce, your parents’ property could be divided between you and your ex-spouse.

Family disputes

There is a risk that you and your parents will fall out in the years to come. If your parents intend to remain in the property, this puts them in a very vulnerable position. After all, you are the legal owner and will be entitled to evict them.

Get expert legal advice

If you are planning on buying your parents’ house for under market value, we strongly recommend that you and your parents seek independent legal advice first. You both need to be aware of the tax implications, and other potential problems that could arise.

There are ways to protect your position and minimise the risks. A solicitor can advise on the options available to you, helping you and your parents achieve a mutually agreeable solution. For more information, contact us at Garner & Hancock Solicitors for a free consultation.

Call us on 020 3870 3676 or fill in the free online enquiry form and we will call you back.


Request a free

  • Privacy Policy consent

  • Please view our complete Privacy Policy on how we store and protect your data.
  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Our Wealth Protection Solicitors

Mr. Nigel George

Head of Private Client

0208 232 9560

Mr. Massimo Cairo

Senior Paralegal


Wealth Protection Articles

Can I make a gift as Deputy (attorney) under an LPA?

Can I make a gift as an attorney? Being a loved-one’s attorney or deputy (“Attorney”) appears to be an onerous task at times. Attorneys usually act on the basis of a Lasting Power of Attorney or under a court order as deputies. Acting in the best interest of the donor is the most important consideration…


“No Nups” – Have you secured your assets? – Wealth Protection Service at Garner & Hancock LLP

We at Garner & Hancock have been advising our clients on this form of proactive protective measure for many years.