Independent Legal Solicitor Certificate
We offer remote legal advice to our new and valued clients and third parties. We can work via Facetime, Whatsapp, Skype and Zoom. Please call 0208 232 9560 or complete a contact form to arrange service.

Independent Legal Advice Certificate

Turn around in as little as 24 hours.

“No need to come to the office”

Garner & Hancock are specialist property lawyers with a vast experience of advising clients on property transactions. We offer a speedy, professional service to get your transaction finalised with a Certificate of Independent Legal Advice.

We can arrange a face to face meeting or by Skype.

Which lenders are on the panel for?

We are on the panel of all major lenders including Barclays, HSBC, Paragon, Kensington etc.

Why do I need Independent Legal advice?

Mortgage companies very often require Independent Legal advice certificates to be signed by a solicitor.

This is usually time sensitive and could jeopardise the transaction if not completed in a timely fashion. This is often the final piece of the jigsaw in a long and laborious process.  Your own conveyancing solicitor will be unable to offer this service as the mortgage company requires another independent solicitor to advise on the transaction.  This is where we come in.

We are there for when you might need another solicitor standing by to deal with the final part of the transaction.

Reasons For an ILA include:

Occupiers Waiver Form

This is a document required to be signed where a person who intends living at the property but will not be an owner, like an adult child or relative. Such persons require signing a form that he or she will not interfere with the rights of the mortgage company should it seek to enforce the mortgage or take possession of the property.

Directors Personal Guarantees

Many people are now using the vehicle of a limited company to buy properties. The mortgage companies require a personal guarantee of the loan. This is very usual and all the directors need to know what they are liable for.

Corporate Loans

A lot of secured loans require the party seeking the loan to get advice before it will lend, especially if it is secured on the matrimonial home.

Personal Guarantees

This is now getting very popular with mortgage companies particularly if children are taking a mortgage for the first time and to satisfy their lending criteria mortgage companies require the guarantors to get advice.

As part of our service, we also advise on trust deeds and bare trusts, if that is right for you .to protect your interest

Transfers of Equity

This is where equity from one property is placed on a second property, usually by way of a remortgage. Transfer of equity is popular when funds are being raised to purchase a buy to let property. Both spouses need to know what are the risks. The buy to let property could be held in a company. One of the owners of the original property may not be a director or shareholder of the property holding company.

Transfers between family members

Family’s will purchase and hold property in each others name and transfer equity between them. Mortgages require each to obtain legal advice. We can act for the whole family although we will make sure we see each member of the family separately to ensure there is no undue influence and duress. More importantly, they understand the full impact of this loan vis a vis the other holdings and risks with those assets.

Deed of Indemnity & Subrogation

This is a complex document usually found in transactions where there are existing mortgages or where the company has a floating charge on its assets and you try to have more lending for other properties in the same limited company. You will need to ask us for a separate quote for such advice.


This does not require independent legal advice but requires thorough ID Checks and certifications. We charge a fixed fee of £50 plus VAT for this service.

We fully understand that such additional hoops required by lenders can be stressful and it is not easy to see whom you can turn to get the best advice and a quick turnaround.

Fixed fees

We offer fixed fees, but for some complex arrangements, we are happy to give you a quote. As a guide we can offer the following services for a fixed fee:

Our fee scales are simple too:

Independent Legal Advice certification.

This includes a meeting, reviewing the documents seeking any clarification from the conducting solicitors and finally certifying the documents with a letter of comprehensive advice

£350 + VAT

For any additional person, we need to advise (in joint lending/guarantors)

£100.00 + VAT

For a quick turn around and response within 1 hour* please call Garner & Hancock Solicitors 0208 232 9560 and ask for Mr Vinay Tanna.

Or complete the form below

We also provide a service where we can come to your home or business. *Within business hours

Frequently Asked Questions

What is Independent Legal Advice / ILA ?

Independent Legal Advice is required on a property matter when your own solicitor cannot act for you or another party is involved in the transaction, who may not be the owner. The reason your solicitor would not be able to act is because of a potential conflict of interest between the owner and the person involved.

Your solicitors will ask the other party to obtain advice separately to advise of the risks of the transaction before signing the documents.

Your independent legal advisor will then need to sign a certificate confirming that they have provided you with necessary legal advice and that you have signed the document in front of them without being forced into the transaction.

Who needs an ILA certificate? When do I need one?

  1. Anyone who is not an owner of the property but has an interest in the property.
  2. Anyone who is assisting in the purchase of the property.


For example, say you were buying with your parent who was guaranteeing the mortgage or is a party to the mortgage or helping you with the deposit. They would need the independent legal advice.

You may be buying a property in the name of the company and you have been asked to provide personal guarantees.

What is the Independent Legal Advice process?

  1. Get all the documents from the solicitors or lender
  2. Send them to us
  3. We will set up a meeting and advise you
  4. We send out the legal advice letter and ILA certificate to you, your solicitor and the lender.

What is the advice that will be given?

Each person will receive an individual letter of advice and notes of the meeting.

  1. The solicitor will advise on the following:
    • If you separated or divorced
    • If you fell out with the other person involved in the transaction
    • That you and the other person are jointly and severally liable for the loan which means that the lender can come after you or the other person or both. For any default.
    • The amount borrowed is not the amount repayable – it will be far more
    • What happens on default of the mortgage?
    • How to bring the arrangement to an end
    • What happens if any of the parties die.
    • Explain the key terms of the mortgage

Can I waive the requirement for an ILA?

No, you cannot waive the requirement for an ILA. This isn’t just to protect you but for also the institution or person you are leading with.

What are the costs for an ILA?

The costs vary depending on the lender but they are always fixed and there are no hidden charges. You only pay once we have given you the advice and not before.

How long does it take to get an ILA certificate?

The appointment can be set up immediately and the ILA certificate can be sent usually on the same day.
What delays matters are the following:

  1. Having all the correct documents such as
    • Mortgage offer
    • Mortgage deed
    • Letter from solicitors explaining what needs to be done
    • ILA certificate
  2. Permission from the lender to have the meeting by video conference

Is there a chance that the solicitor will not sign off the ILA certificate?

  1.  This is rare but can happen in the following circumstances:
  • Your ID is unsatisfactory
  • You are unsure of the details of the transaction
  • You do not understand or speak English
  • You seem confused or unable to communicate properly
  • The other person involved in the transaction is in the same room
  • Even if the transaction is not in the best interest for you (and your solicitor will advise you on this) as long as you understand and have no undue influence, your solicitor is likely to sign off the ILA certificate.


  1. What does the solicitor need to be satisfied with:
  • Your ID
  • There has not been undue influence (you have not been pressured into entering into this transaction)
  • You understand the advice and the risks of transaction

What sort of questions will I have to answer when getting an Independent Legal Advice certificate?

The ILA solicitor will first check your ID. You will need to have a passport or driving licence and utility or council tax bill.
You will be asked questions about you and the background of the transaction; you should note the value of the property and the amount of the loan.

Why use Garner & Hancock's ILA?

  • We have advised on hundreds of such agreements
  • We are panel members with most lenders
  • We are CQS accredited
  • You receive advice from a Partner of the firm who has been in practice for over 20 years
  • The process time is quick
  • We know about the processes of most lenders and know what is expected by them to ensure that the ILA certificate is compliant and will be acceptable.


Client completed Property Purchase July 2020 and feedback as follows:
“My experience with a property purchase in Lincolnshire went well with the Garner and Hancock team. Despite issues arising that needed to be addressed, these were effectively negotiated with the sellers side, all satisfactorily. The service provided in this exchange/completion contract was careful and timely. I would easily recommend Garner and Hancock in conveyancing for a home purchase. Thank you.”

Mr D Houghton
Mr Gurdev Singh Mann Head of Property

“I had a very pleasant experience with Garner & Hancock Solicitors. GH team were professional and very responsive by keeping me informed throughout the process, even during the coronavirus pandemic. I will recommend them to my friends and family”

Ms R. Chen
Mr Gurdev Singh Mann Head of Property

Our Guarantee

Our Fees are Fully Inclusive

  • No extra sum to pay off a current mortgage;
  • No fees for dealing with your new mortgage;
  • No disbursement fees which are not paid out
  • No "petty sneaky incidentals" added to the bill
  • No extra fee for professional indemnity;

No Hidden Charges

  • No faxes, postage and internet charges
  • No charge for receiving money
  • No charges for enquiries from the Land Registry
  • No photocopying charges
  • No charges for holding the file

Request a Free

How can we help?

If you would like some help or advice, then please feel free drop us a note using the form below and we can book you a call with a solicitor.

  • Privacy Policy consent

  • Please view our complete Privacy Policy on how we store and protect your data.
  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.
  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.


One Person deal with. You will know the individual solicitor dealing with your matter so that you do you won't speak to someone different every time you call.

Genuine Solicitor

You can be sure it is a solicitor dealing with your matter from the outset – not an unqualified person “supervised” by a solicitor.

Meet in Person

...when you need to. Being able to meet and discuss matters face to face can be very beneficial, especially when difficulties arise or matters need to progress rapidly.

Highly Knowledgeable

We are a firm with a depth of expertise. You may need assistance in future on a range of related issues, so why not establish a relationship with a firm that can advise on more than just your house move.

No Referral Fees for Anyone

Some estate agents recommend a conveyancing firm because of “referral” payments they might receive. We get a lot of our business from family or friends recommending us, and our policy is not to pay referral fees.

Our Property Law Solicitors

Property Solicitor

Mr. James Harrison

Consultant- Property Department

0208 232 9560

Property Solicitor

Mrs. Komal Soni

Licensed Conveyancer

020 3962 0319

Ms. Sophie Winter

Trainee Solicitor


Property Advice

Tenancy Deposit Schemes – What you need to know

I am a litigation paralegal at Garner and Hancock LLP and specialise in residential possession cases.


Garner & Hancock awarded the excellence mark in Conveyancing

“CQS improves efficiency with common, consistent standards and service levels and enables consumers to recognise practices that provide a quality residential conveyancing service.


Stamp Duty Holiday – What you need to know

Chancellor of the Exchequer, Rishi Sunak announced on 8th July 2020 changes to the threshold at which homebuyers in England and Northern Ireland are required to pay Stamp Duty Land Tax (SDLT). It is hoped that the temporary cut will boost the Country’s housing market and stimulate economic recovery after the impact of Coronavirus. What…